Sunday, January 6, 2013

Keeping January Fresh

My two week vacation from work has come to an end.  More on what I've been up to in a later post (because I assume you're interested :)).  I suspect tomorrow is going to be rough.  In lieu of thinking of the return to reality, I'm looking forward to a fantastic January.  Looking for something a lil off the beaten path to do in January in Dallas?  I'm hoping to check the following off my list 'o fun things to do:
  • A group of my friends and I get together every month for our DTF (get your minds out of the gutter!  It stands for Dining This Friday).  Basically, we check out a new restaurant in Dallas every month.  This weekend we're exposing our taste buds to Medina Oven & Bar serving Moroccan & Mediterranean cuisine.   Hopefully it's nom nom!
  • Social Science at the new Museum of Nature & Science kicks off on Friday, January 18th.  The topic is "Ingenuity."  Honestly, the theme could be anything.  I've been wanting to go check out the new museum since it opened in December and this adult evening seems like a great opportunity to listen to some guest lecturers, check out the new exhibits and enjoy a drink or two with friends.
  • I've pledged to myself to run a 5K a month in 2013.  I'm already off to a good start running the Turkey Trot and Jingle Bell Run in November and December of 2012.  The trickiest part will be finding runs that work with my work schedule.  I'm usually at work on Saturdays, when many of these runs are hosted.  Good thing January's Electric Run is on the evening of Saturday, January 19th.  It's a little pricier, but you can't go wrong with a glow necklace, glow sunglasses, an LED bracelet, lit displays along the course and music.
  • Pegasus Theatre's XSR: Die! Black & White production.  We used to go see this annual performance with some family friends back in the day.  I remember it being awesome.  Back then it was hosted in a small theater near Deep Ellum.  Looks like they've grown to a larger venue.  If I can sucker any family or friends into coming along before the show ends on the 20th, I'll be there!
I missed checking ICE! and Chihuly at NIGHT off my December list (I DID squeeze in a beautiful afternoon of Chihuly, but evening tickets were sooooold out :(), but 2.5 out of 4 in the busy holiday month ain't too shabby.

3 comments:

  1. 5K a month? You rock! I will def come up for one (and duh, post-run brunching). Lovin' the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo hoo! I'll keep you updated as I pick races each month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am definitely supportive of the 5K a month goal! Great goal. I can't wait to check out the new museum once the crowds calm down a bit.

    ReplyDelete