Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Our One Year Anniversary!

Whoda thunk I'd make it to a one year anniversary?

One year ago, on Sunday January 8th 2012, I met this guy:
He was not my first choice (Shhhhhh! Don't tell him!), but my 4th choice at Dallas Animal Services.  Let's just say this, he and DAS are lucky I am the persistent person I am.  Also, a year later and with some perspective, I count my blessings that I didn't end up bringing  home a Jack Russell Terror...er...I mean Terrier...puppy.  The BDog (originally named Eddie by DAS) was around 3 months old and all of 4.9 lbs soaking wet when he came home with me.
Thankfully (and much to Richard's dismay), he never grew up to be the big, mean rotty we joked he might be (you never know what you're getting with a mutt!).  I don't know if you can tell but he was a shy guy his first month or so and incredibly crabby with any new dogs.  Socialization was definitely a learned skill.  Who can blame him though?  His bark, not his bite, is probably what helped this 4 lbs of cuteness survive the street.

Bentley may be a mutt and pound dog, but he cleans up well, don't you think?
For a chihuahua (or any breed of dog, for that matter), he's not yappy.  Bentley loves doggy daycare, dog parks, fetching balls, slaying dragons, hanging on patios with moi, cuddling on blankets and annoying my mom's older dog, Snow.  We crate train so he doesn't get to indulge any nasty habits that I'm sure he would love to pick up.  Like destroying virtually anything you leave him alone with.  He is a dragon slayer, after all.

Did you know Dallas Animal Services has a selection of over 600+ dogs and cats for you to choose from?

Only $85 for a dog, $55 for a cat and they run specials on dogs and cats who are at-risk of being euthanized, sometimes as low as free to a good home.  You can check out these "VSPs" on their facebook page.

That's right, dogs and cats at your city shelter are at risk of being euthanized if they don't find a homeowner.  Dallas euthanizes nearly 75% of the animals that come through it's door.  Healthy animals that would make wonderful pets (like Bentley) if they only had a welcoming home.
If you're considering welcoming an animal to your home, consider adopting from a shelter instead of shelling out tons of money for a purebred from a puppy mill.  It's cheaper, mutts are healthier and dogs and cats are dying every day for lack of a home.  And if you have a dog or cat already, get'em spayed/neutered AND microchipped.  Lord Bentley The Dragon Slayer is begging you!

Okay, not really, he's living the good life and napping...
Photo: Weekend road trip to Austin was exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment