Monday, December 17, 2012

Fido & Kitty Request Your Company...

As a person who is allergic to what seems like nearly everything under the sun, this post is rooted in my sympathy for fellow allergy prone friends.  I'm allergic to corn and ragweed and wheat and pollen and milk and dust mites and the list goes on.  The only reason I'm still alive is probably because I am fortunate enough to react in the form of eczema or sinuses to most of these things, not by my face swelling or throat closing.  Some girls have all the luck, eh? 

Funny fact: I am not allergic to poison ivy.

I'm also allergic to cats.

Growing up, my dad was (and still is) allergic to pretty much anything with hair -- cats, dogs, horses, bunnies.  You name it, the man has an allergy to it.  Growing up, I recall arriving at many a party only to find out the owners had a cat or dog.  That inevitably meant our stop would need to be cut short for the evening.  Now, my dad's allergies are so severe that what I'm about to suggest probably wouldn't have helped him any other than to let him know to stay away from your party, but it can surely help some people.

The past few weekends of holiday parties got me thinking though, why don't party hosts and hostesses kindly inform their guests of their furry four-legged roommates in advance?  Before you balk, please keep in mind, this is coming from a dog owner.  Just a thought for your next fbook invite or evite or (heaven forbid!) formal mailed invitation.  The number of times I've been texted or called by a friend from a party asking me to bring allergy meds for them (my reputation as a walking allergy pharmacy precedes me) because they were surprised by a cat or dog is off the charts.  If they had known in advance, they could have popped a pill before visiting or brought their own just in case.  I know many a thoughtful host who has said, "Oh, I put Fido in the other room!" or "I vacuumed and dusted all the hair up before the party."  That's wonderful and I suppose if you don't have an allergy yourself, you don't quite understand, but that only goes a small way to getting rid of the irritant.

Just my two cents.  I know I would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment