Friday, December 7, 2012

Pooches, Patio, Beers, Live Music & 3 Beers + A Mug For $10?




Yes pls!


I ventured out into Deep Ellum last night with my kball team, Freeballers.  Yes, that's our team name.  This is us.
 Moving along.

We had the late 9pm game and one of our players, Graham, is into the "home brew" scene in Dallas.  By into, I mean he brews himself.  The man also knows how to grill and marinade.  Nom nom.  It doesn't hurt that he likes to share, either.  Anyhow, he knows all the cool little breweries and their owners/employees opening up around Dallas as brewing becomes the latest thing.  We've hit up the Deep Ellum Brewery's Brewery Tour before and it was such a great evening, we decided to hit it up again.

Now when Graham first pitched this Deep Ellum Brewery Tour to us a few months back, it was along the lines of "$10 and you can taste some beer and tour the brewery."  Cool...but taste sounds like a shot of beer and I've toured the Sam Adams Brewery in Boston before and learned all I need to know about beer to navigate my beer ordering world, which is, I don't like hops heavy beers.  Actually, I say that, but there's a lot of science and things to nerd out to involved in brewing if you really want to.  It got me thinking that a root beer brewing factory wouldn't be a shabby way to engage children in science and chemistry and the like, but there I go thinking again.

The team told Graham after our first visit that in his love for all things brewery, he had way undersold some highlights of the evening.  Namely:
  • $10 for 3 full beers + a Deep Ellum Brewery Mug from 6-8.30pm
  • Live Music
  • Patio
  • Free Hot Dogs
  • Food Trucks
  • Bonus (if you like dogs): BYOD (bring your own dog...just not inside the brewery)
This time, his team blast highlighted all of the extra perks.  I have to confess, I have yet to actually take the brewery tour.  I got there too late last time and I brought Bentley this time.  The doggy ban meant I was FORCED to enjoy the wonderful patio weather in December and live music from the hipster who likes country music.  Add that to the list of things hipsters and I have in common -- old school country music a la Old Crow Medicine Show.

Lord Bentley The Dragon Slayer donned his new hoody.  He also made a new "friend," Penelope, who is sadly not pictured.  More on that to come.  Penelope and him got along splendidly, if by splendidly you mean getting frisky and trying to hump each other.  Apparently BDog has a thing for unspayed females.

When we're out and about, people often ask me where I got Bentley and how much I paid for him.  The assumption is: small cute chihuahua must be a purebred.  So I'm doing my part to spread the word.  Rescue and you can pay a lot less to have some little animal pee in your apartment, tear up your crap, and dominate your schedule while keeping you company and saving its life.  Win-win!

Deep Ellum Brewery has 7 beers on tap to choose from.  I figured, since I was going to blog and all, I should snap a bunch of pictures, which I did, so I've become *that* photo girl, but then I deleted them in my upload attempt.  Because I'm special like that.  And whoaaaa was that a run on sentence somewhere there?  I like to type like I talk so I speak in run-ons sometime ok.  Note: When your select 5 photos to upload and your phone asks you if you want to delete them or share them, be sure to select share and not delete. Hey, blogging is tough.

The brewery is shiny and pretty though and the patio is chill.  There were two pics that didn't find themselves on the accidental chopping block because they were the worst of the bunch.  You know what though, this is what you get and you WILL like it.

I prefer the lighter beers and if you do, too, I recommend the Rye Pils or Dallas Blonde.  The rest of the team all enjoyed their seasonal Festivus and some other darker varities.

Tours every Thursday evening from 6-8.30pm and Saturday from Noon-3pm.  $10 Credit or Cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment